Senior Power Engineer
Vision, Medical, Life, Dental, 401K
Full-Time, Direct Hire
The Senior Power Engineer is responsible for performing engineering activities in the field under the supervision of the Engineering Manager, Project Manager and/or General Manager. This includes technical and engineering support of field work, and office work performing design and generating reports. The level II Power Engineer is expected to have the ability to lead projects both in the office and in the field.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required to be an effective power engineer. Focused training efforts under the guidance of senior engineers may be required to gain full competency in these duties. Other duties may be assigned.
1. Provide technical capabilities for testing relays, circuit breakers, transformers, motor control equipment, and related switchgear in the field, including synch check, and point-to-point verifications. Proof of these skillsets will be a pre-requisite for consideration.
2. Support the sales effort assisting with estimates and job walks when necessary.
3. Remain current on all safety and technical training.
4. Perform updates to client electrical drawings including one lines, wiring diagrams, and schematics using AutoCAD.
5. Field data collection and data entry to perform arc flash studies, coordination studies and short circuit analysis (load flow analysis, grounding & lightning protection studies, infrared scans, etc.). Experience with Paladin, Easy Power, and SKM a plus.
6. Provide technical insight with regard to substation systems and electrical power systems.
7. Adhere to all company, industry and client safety protocols and standards.
8. Assess project specific resource needs and coordinate assignments with project manager. Communicate core technical job requirements.
9. Support immediate supervisor with planning and organization of workload to ensure the most effective return on assets.
10. Initiate plans and processes which minimize project costs through effective utilization of manpower, equipment, facilities, and materials. Assure attainment of business objectives and production schedules while ensuring product standards that will exceed our customer’s expectations.
11. Coordinate with the Engineering Project Manager on the master engineering resource schedule as well as forecasting upcoming engineering requirements/needs including non-job related training schedules.
12. Oversee projects from start to finish for compliance with Company standard practices and procedures.
13. Manage expenses against project budgets and make recommendations to reduce expenses.
14. Coordinate proper project handoff between sales and operations/engineering.
15. Participate in Project Kickoff meetings to discuss in detail work scope, project specifications, budgets, schedules, and safety requirements with project team.
16. Effectively communicate with other departments to assure activities are properly coordinated.
17. Ensure timely and accurate invoicing for all engineering projects by providing all paperwork in a like manner; these include Service Acknowledgement Forms (SAFs), weekly time keeping, documentation of change orders, test reports, and other documents as required by the project deliverables.
18. Consult and coordinate as necessary to utilize suppliers with the capabilities to meet material and equipment needs for shop and field activities. Responsible for expediting and resolving issues regarding material and equipment availability.
19. Oversee all required documentation and records related to assigned projects and file in the proper location for reference and backup.
PERFORMANCE FACTORS: The performance factors described here are core abilities that translate into desired on-the-job behaviors which contribute to the employee successfully carrying out the assigned duties and responsibilities of this job.
Adaptability: Performs effectively in varying environments by assimilating and applying information regarding new and different tasks, responsibilities, and people. Shows resilience in the face of changing circumstances and shifting priorities; works well under stress and pressure and is not easily discouraged. A great amount of learning is on the job with experienced co-workers and managers, handling criticism is essential to employee growth.
Acumen: Promotes a free flow of information and communication throughout the organization (upward, downward, and across); listens actively; encourages open expression of ideas and opinions. Works effectively with company and customer organizational structures and builds alliance with people at all organizational levels. Establishes and prioritizes goals and objectives on a project and personal level. Anticipates the reactions and positions of others accurately; involves the right people and resources at the right time. Directs and manages projects on time and on budget to the satisfaction of the customer.
Customer Satisfaction: Builds productive relationships with customers in order to build customer loyalty. Able to identify or anticipate customer needs. Keeps commitments to customers and regularly sets standards to exceed expectations. Encourages and uses customer feedback to improve services. Adheres to customer required policies and procedures.
Critical Thinking: Committing to an action after developing alternative courses of action that are based on logical assumptions and factual information and that take into consideration resources, constraints, and organizational values. Examines information, facts, and data, and draws logical conclusions from available information. Thinks under pressure and acts prudently concerning the safety of others.
Organizing and Planning: Effectively manages multiple priorities and properly identifies issues requiring immediate attention from those that are less urgent. Develops project plans, orders resources and materials, holds job kick off meetings, and is able to identify changes in work scopes. Submits all required paperwork and time sheets to promote proper project control, customer deliverables, and organizational goals proper billing.
Dedication: Sets high personal and professional standards; takes the initiative regarding job functions and responsibilities; able to stick to a task or pursue a goal over the long-term. Accepting personal ownership and taking personal accountability of issues, problems, and tasks; staying with a plan of action until the desired objective is achieved; coordinating with others to ensure tasks are dealt with to completion; accepting responsibility for own actions/work.
Communications: Communicates effectively one to one, and in small groups. Employee is able to articulate complex thoughts clearly, effectively and in a professional manner. Provide written reports for customer submittals, and project status for management. Effectively and consistently communicates all weekly scheduling and scheduling changes immediately.
Collaboration: Works effectively with others in order to achieve meaningful results and maintains positive working relationships. Actively participates in solving problems, making decisions, completing tasks and accomplishing goals. Interacting effectively with others to accomplish organizational goals; showing respect for the contributions and needs of others.
Mechanically Inclined: Hands-on and willingly gets "hands dirty" in substation and power plant/manufacturing environments.
1. Experience: Prefer 5 to 7 years directly in the field of power engineering, start-up and acceptance testing on primary power distribution systems and related protection schemes up-to 230KV. Experience with either the Omicron CMC or Doble F6150 platform is required. Experience with both is preferred. Experience must be in the development, execution and interpretation of automated test plans, not through QuickCMC or Doble Control Panel. Proof of proficiency with Doble M4000 power factor test set is also a pre-requisite. Reading and problem-solving DC control schematics and AC-3-line schematics will also be evaluated.
2. Reasoning Development: Ability to carry out instructions furnished in written or oral form; deal with problems involving several concrete variables.
3. Mathematical Development: Ability to add, subtract, and divide all units of measure. Able to perform computations involving electrical power.
4. Language Development: Ability to read company manuals and reports, workplace rules and procedures; speak with poise and confidence, using correct English.
5. Work authorization: US citizen or green card, able to obtain security clearances for entry onto critical and government jobsites.
6. Education: BSEE, prefer study emphasis in power or equivalent work experience, EIT/PE a plus.